The history of the castle
The origin of the castle goes up again to the 13 century ,when it was a fortitude ,to square plant , for the defense of the territory. From the middle age until all beginning of the 19 century the building was surrounded by a ditch and it entered you through a drawbridge and a ramp that crossed parallel west facade , to the place that today is the entry.
The history of the castle weaves him that of the family that lived it during the centuries. The founders were Lords of Anterisio, ancient disappeared family in the dark centuries, that it reported to the bishop of Asti. Then the fortitude it pass to the Briandate’s family, an important imperial vassals ,after the clash among this important family and the district of Asti happened in 1275, around 1300 went to the Roero’s family a branch of Roero of Pralormo’s family.
The Roero , they widened the castle, having two towers to build one at northeast and another at southwest, and a great south west tower. In 1399 the three Roero’s brothers divided the castle (and also the feud) in three equal parts and sometimes also in smaller parts and perhaps they had a different destiny, for this reason a lot of family inherited in the time parts of the castle and of the feud. In 1680, came, from Barcellonette, Giacomo Beraudo, founder of the actual family owners, the Count of Beraudo of Pralormo. Their heirs loved all of this great abode, and they made many great changes: in 1730, they had the beautiful chapel to build with the architect Galletti (author of an enlargement of the Oropa Shrines).Then another plan of the same one saloons and painted rooms with frescoes.
In 1830-40 the Count Carlo Beraudo of Pralormo, diplomat and political man during the albertina age (he was home secretary for more than ten years) became the only owner of the castle and he made to transformed with inside environments into a prestigious abode of representation abode from Ernesto Melano, architect of court craftsman of the transformation of the royal castle of Racconigi. The building from military use was change, such the ditch and the drawbridge were abolished, they built the entry portico and a grandiose saloon of honor, tall three floors, surrounded by an arch and a skylight central courtyard, covered with arcades and neoclassic windows inside.
The Count Carlo made to came the famous German architect landscapist Xaver Kurten, who created all the magnificent English style park . At the end of the century the nephew of the minister also called him Carlo , grandfather of the actual owner ,made to build the orangerie, the great rural building (1875) and the beautiful greenhouse in glass and iron realized by Lefevre brothers from Paris. The castle is always lived by the owners that they develop under the control of the “Department of National Heritage and cultural activities”, a constant work of maintenance and preservation consequence of initiatives taken place in these years.